PAN Card Apply Online – PAN or Permanent Account Number is a 10 digit alpha-numeric code that stores all financial transactions of an entity. It is an important document for conducting even the simplest of financial transactions like opening a savings bank account, applying for a debit/credit card and so on.
How to Apply PAN Card Online
- Visit the NSDL website – CLICK HERE
- Click on ‘Application Type’ and select the form applicable to you
- Form 49A for resident individuals and
- Form 49AA for non-resident individuals (NRIs) and foreign nationals.
- Select category: ‘Individual’
- Fill in the rest of the information asked such as name, and date of birth. Information marked with an asterisk sign has to be filled in mandatorily.
- Once you have clicked on the ‘submit’ button, a token number will be generated. You will be required to click on the link to continue with your PAN Application. You can keep a screenshot of the page displaying the token number for your record just in case the token number does not get sent to your email address due to some technical issues.
- A new page will appear on your screen. There will be three options for asking you how you want to proceed with your application. The three options are (i) Submit digitally through e-KYC and e-sign (Paperless) (ii) Submit scanned images through e-Sign and (iii) Forward application documents physically.
- Enter your details such as Aadhaar number, parent’s name, etc. You can have the option to get either your father’s or mother’s name printed on the PAN card.
- Once you have filled all the relevant data, click on ‘Next’. A new page will appear asking you to fill in additional personal details such as the source of income, address, contact details.
- After filing up all the personal details, click on ‘Next’.
- In the next step, you will be required to enter your area code, AO (assessing officer) type, range code, and AO number. You can find these details in this window itself.
- Once these details are filled, click on ‘Next’.
- At the last step, you will be asked to choose and upload the supporting documents along with your photograph and signature.
- According to NSDL helpline, once the documents are uploaded you will have to make the payment of Rs 115.90 excluding additional bank charges, if any. You can pay using your debit or credit cards, Net banking or demand draft. (If you have chosen to send the physical documents instead of opting for e-KYC or e-Sign, then you will have to pay Rs 110).
- Once you have made the payment, you will be required to undergo the Aadhaar authentication process. An OTP will be sent to the mobile/email linked to your Aadhaar.
- If your Aadhaar authentication process is successful, then take a print out of the receipt with the 15 digit unique acknowledgement number, sign it and send it to the NSDL office at: Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016.
- In case your Aadhaar authentication process is not successful or your mobile number is not linked to Aadhaar, according to NSDL helpline, then take a print out of acknowledgment receipt, paste your photograph and sign the receipt. You will also have to send a photocopy of the documents uploaded by you.
- You should super-scribe the envelope with ‘APPLICATION FOR PAN -N-15 DIGIT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT NUMBER’ (For e.g. ‘APPLICATION FOR PAN — N-881010200000097’). You can send this envelope via post or courier and it should reach NSDL within 15 days from the date of online application.
- The turnaround time to process PAN application is 15-20 days. You can also track your application using this link
Points to Remember
Application of PAN card is a very easy process but the applicant must keep in mind certain guidelines. Failure to remember those will result in the failure of allotment of PAN card. They are as follows:
- Details should the same as the one mentioned in the proof of address and proof of identity.
- Proper and full details regarding the address and contact number should be given.
- Form 49A or the application form should be filled in capital letters.
- Any kind of overwriting and rectifications are not entertained in the application form.
- Only the initials of the applicant in the first name and last name columns should not be mentioned.
- A fresh PAN card application is not supported if the old PAN card of the applicant is stolen, lost or disrupted.
- If the applicant uses a thumb impression of either the Notary or the Magistrate, the application form will be immediately disqualified.
Also, check – How to apply for a Passport Online